Re: HTML 3.0 standardization

Dave Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Wed, 7 Sep 94 12:20:20 EDT

Eric writes:

> It was my understanding that Dave's work was to be the
> 'basis for discussion' of a 3.0 spec. When I see mentions of
> testbed browsers and signed book agreements with A-W, I have the
> sense that I missed something.

Nothing has changed there. A-W merely want a textbook for the
final version as decided by this group. It takes a lot of time
to write such books, hence the forward planning. I am sorry if
I have caused any confusion.

The testbed browser is critical to testing ideas before they
can be placed into the spec. I am open to suggestions for which
ideas should be tested in this way, and you will all get to play
with the browser *before* we decide on just what HTML 3.0 is to be.

> I think it's important that HTML 3.0 go through a regular group
> discussion period before steps are taken which would turn it into
> any kind of standard. Even the wide availability of a testbed
> browser makes me a little nervous. I, like Murray, am eager to
> see the browser in action, but I am also eager to limit its
> exposure until it implements a language that the rest of us are
> comfortable with.

I was thinking of calling it an HTML+ browser that allows us to
test out proposed extensions to HTML before we commit ourselves.
It seems important to solicit widespread input on potential new
features. A consensus draft spec for Spring '95 gives us several
months for the group discussion.

How would you like to position such as demonstration?

--
Best wishes,

Dave Raggett

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hewlett Packard Laboratories email: dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com Filton Road tel: +44 272 228046 Stoke Gifford fax: +44 272 228003 Bristol BS12 6QZ United Kingdom