Re: Internet draft for 'file upload' feature proposal

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU)
Fri, 11 Nov 94 08:43:44 EST

Larry Masinter writes:

> I am reluctant to use the term "http client" since I think that HTML
> FORMs are independent of whether the form was obtained by gopher, ftp,
> http, or mail. I don't mind talking about "www client" instead of "www
> browser", but I think that you could just as easily say that "SoftQuad
> HoTMetaL PRO is able to act as a www browser".
>
> I *do* mean to exclude non-interactive software. I don't think HTML
> FORMs make very much sense in any non-interactive situations.
> Certainly, a HTML editor should have some way to construct new forms,
> but the proposal is indeed oriented toward someone actually
> interacting with the form, not editing it.

"User agent" is the correct term for this beastie, as used in
RFCs 1521 + 1524, and its non-interactive counterpart is
"processing agent" (which includes gateways, proxies, etc.).

.....Roy Fielding ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine USA
<fielding@ics.uci.edu>
<URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>