Re: textured backgrounds

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Wed, 18 Jan 95 01:46:19 EST

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Eric Bina wrote:

> Arena's paper textured background looks really cool.

I agree, Arena looks really cool and in my limited exposure seems to provide
good contrast.

> What do people think of an HTML tag in the HEAD that would specify
> a background image to be used as a texture behind the current document?
> Any interest in having a tag like this in HTML 2.X or 3.0?
> I think it would be really cool.

As a user, I don't want every tom dick and jane fooling with my desktop
at this level. Browser publishers should be encouraged to work on
the human factors of their rendering and provide alternatives in
easy to configure ways. I don't believe everything we can do yields
good end-user usablity.

But if it is going to be done, the html representation must discourage
use which will be disrruptive to the ultimate user. Perhaps a style
attribute associated with <body> and table (?<tb>) as these are 'atomic'
entities from the perception of the user.

Dave Morris