Re: odd addresses

Paul Burchard (burchard@horizon.math.utah.edu)
Sat, 21 Jan 95 20:47:11 EST

Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie> writes:
> Can anyone explain why Paul's message came with his address with my
> domain tacked on the end?
>
> Date: 21 Jan 1995 19:18:49 -0500 (EST)
> From: Paul Burchard <burchard@horizon.math.utah.edu.ucc.ie>
> ^^^^^^^
> This is the bit I don't understand--------------------^

The Listprocessor's error is that it ignores Reply-To: headers and
overwrites them with the address from the From: header, defeating the
entire purpose of Reply-To: -- very annoying. The same problem
exists on the www-talk list (same Listprocessor).

It looks like your local mail forwarding software is compounding the
problem checking if the host in the From: and Reply-To: headers
exists, and if not, assuming it's some local lossage (like a PC or
Mac without TCP/IP).

[P.S. Please reply to me at the address below!]

Paul Burchard <burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''