Re: content-type preferences [Was: Re: <PRE tab-width=4> (Thumbs Down) ]

Keith M. Corbett (kmc@specialform.com)
Fri, 27 Jan 95 14:28:11 EST

At 02:06 PM 1/27/95 EST, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:

>Then I think it is inappropriate for you to ask the above question on
>this list. (1) it has nothing to do with HTML, and (2) it's in
>everyone's best interest if you do some background reading before you
>ask a question on this list.

Dan, do you flame me everytime you see my name? Or just when you're in a
pissy mood?

I was responding to your suggestion, which I support, for the reasons I
mention, and a content-type attribute does have something to do with HTML,
or you wouldn't have posted it. And how can you say that interactions
between the client and server have nothing to do with this list?

I'm trying to understand specifically how content hints in the HTML markup
can interact with a server, and hoping to hear from others who are working
on similar problems. If that's a misuse of the list, I apologize. Of course
a private reminder might have worked just as well. I confessed that my
question was naive. Is your mail reader really so choked that you could not
pass up the chance to point a finger at me?

I've tracked as much of the discussion, and read as much of the spec, as I
can - and since my interest is primarily in SGML issues, I've got a lot of
other ground to cover also. I don't think I'm particularly ignorant compared
to others who have discussed this issue and others.

Thanks for the pointers, two of them were unknown to me.

-kmc