Re: <PRE tab-width=4> (Thumbs Down)

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Sat, 28 Jan 95 03:13:41 EST

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995 lee@sq.com wrote:

> A brief note on tabs:
> Really, they only make sense
> or are only really useful
> in a monospace world.
>
> If you're reading this in a proportional typeface, you won't notice
> the alignment of the previous sentence.
>
> If I use tabs, and your browser uses Times, and mine (as it does) uses
> Gill Sans and Bembo, the document will look different, and, more importantly,
> semantic information will have been lost.

Wrong! If you only allow tab grid specification in terms of characters
it is slightly more difficult but tabs can be a quite useful shorthand
if specified in terms of inches, milli-meters, etc. Doesn't matter what
the font is. They would also be a useful shorthand for entry of
table columns. If the group is worried about combating microsoft make
sure that usability isn't sacrificed on the alter of purity.

Dave Morris