Re: <BR align=xxx>

wmperry@spry.com
Sat, 25 Feb 95 16:42:07 EST

Joe English writes:

> On comp.infosystems.www.misc,
> in article <wmperryyqquxyrzxxd@monolith.spry.com>,
> wmperry@monolith.spry.com wrote:
>
> > As of the latest HTML 3.0 draft, you can do: <br align=xxx> to
> > affect the line/paragraph immediately before the <br>. Personally, I
> > think this is a little odd, but what the heck.
>
> I think this is a little odd, too...
>
> Is letting an element change the presentation of text that *precedes* it
> a good idea? Is it even a useful feature? Doesn't this go against the
> principles of structured markup? Won't it wreak havoc with DSSSL-Lite
> based implementations?

I proposed (and implemented in emacs-w3, and chris wilson did it in AIR
Mosaic) the

<align role=center|right|left|justify>
</align>

container that would do something similar to netscapes <center></center>,
but more extensible. Implies one line break at each end.

If you changed <br> to affect the text _AFTER_ it, this is equivalent to:

.
.
.

Which I think is wrong - stuff like this should be in containers if at
all possible.

-Bill P.