Re: Toward Graceful Deployment of Tables

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 16:02:38 +0000 (GMT)

Dan Connolly wrote:

> This is a copy of:
> http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/table-deployment.html

> Documents with tables should be labelled as:

> and clients that support HTML 3.0 will interpret them reliably.

and, later on,

> should information providers use text/x-html; level=3 rather than
> text/html; level=3?

However the current DTD (Draft: Mon 13-Mar-95 09:51:25) states:

While HTML 3.0 is being discussed, please use text/x-html3
as a temporary MIME content type, as this will allow clients
to distinguish html 3 from current html documents.

Which of these three is correct?

Using Netscape 1.1b1 for HP-UX, sending the same table-containing file with
different MIME types, I find:

text/html displays fine
text/html; level=3 displays fine, level is ignored
text/x-html3 unknown media type, offers to save to file
text/x-html; level=3 unknown media type, warning about unknown encoding "level"

This was using the CERN server, version 3.0pre6, like this:

#Add experimental MIME types for CGM files and HTML 3.0
AddType .cgm application/x-cgm 8bit
AddType .html3 text/html; level=3 8bit
AddType .html-3 text/x-html3 8bit
AddType .html+3 text/x-html; level=3 8bit

I think that the server does not allow spaces in the MIME type, even if
there is a semicolon after the subtype. So it is sending out an illegal
encoding. Yup:

cguhpc [79]: telnet info 8080
Trying...
Connected to info.mcc.ac.uk.