Re: HTML table model suggestion

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Tue, 4 Apr 95 16:49:21 EDT

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995 lee@sq.com wrote:

> Much of the complexity of SGML today comes from the idea that people would
> be entering it by hand, essentially on punched cards (!). The RS/RE nonsense,
> many of the minimisation features, the net enabling start tag (legal in

I spend a lot more time reading HTML source and debugging automatic
creation than I spend creating it by hand but the ability to create
by hand also improves my ability to read it. At the current state
or maturity of the tools I'm not ready to yield that capability.

In any case, why to we need all that ugly human readible markup which
complicates parsing and bulks up the data stream except to preserve
the ascii character stream as a human interface...

Dave Morris