Embedding into HTML [was signature/encryption tags]

Dianne Hackborn (hackbod@mail.CS.ORST.EDU)
Wed, 12 Apr 95 06:08:46 EDT

Just as some background, I am currently doing some research on including
programs with HTML documents. I've been reading this list for almost a
month now, trying to get an idea of how SGML/HTML tags should be
structured, and how the various little things about content types and
stuff are handled.

One of the main things I am concerned with at this point is the issue of
actually embedding a program in a document, which seems to be closely
related to these comments about signatures:

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Craig Hubley wrote:

> 2. A signature can be considered similar to any other MIME type in that it
> is information that is
> - not directly human readable (i.e. must be generated/read by a program)
> - potentially quite large (i.e. with a large key it could be 100s of bytes,
> and generally will expand as key sizes expand to potentially several K)
> - not of interest to all readers (i.e. as graphics are often 'turned off'
> by many readers, authentication/signatures are often of interest only
> to those who intend to act directly on the information in some binding
> way
> - not directly useful in processing other information on/in the page

Is this a good general set of rules to go by for what should and
shouldn't be included directly in an HTML document? My current
implementation uses a structure in which it adds a new major section at the
<HEAD> and <BODY> level, called the <INTERFACE>. This section is
currently defined as:

<!ELEMENT MODULE - O EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST MODULE NAME CDATA #IMPLIED
VERSION NUMBER #IMPLIED
URL %URL; #IMPLIED>

<!ELEMENT SOURCE - - RCDATA>

<!ELEMENT INTERFACE - - (MODULE* & SOURCE)>
<!ATTLIST INTERFACE LANGUAGE CDATA #REQUIRED>

So, it contains zero or more <MODULE> tags, which declare all the external
modules needed by the program, and <SOURCE>, whose content is the actual
script which will be executed. [A bit more detailed description of this is
at <http://www.cs.orst.edu/~hackbod/exechtml/>, which is an extremely
preliminary design, but it's something. :)]

>From reading this list, I know that having the program directly included in
the document is most likely Not A Good Idea, and I will definitely be
changing things so that in some way the main program can be retrieved from
an extern URL like the modules are. But is it -absolutely- a bad thing to
make it possible to have an embedded program? It seems that this case
wouldn't fall into the last two categories listed about -- it most likely
is of interest to all browsers, and it is directly useful for processing
the other information in the page.

Any comments about this would be greatly appreciated.

Dianne Kyra Hackborn "I must become important to them, intertwined
hackbod@mail.cs.orst.edu with roots into them, or else I'd lose my false
Oregon State University and newfound sense of pride."
//www.cs.orst.edu/~hackbod/ -- The Residents