Re: Editorial comments on HTML 2.0 Draft 3/31/95

wmperry@spry.com
Wed, 19 Apr 95 11:50:46 EDT

lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk writes:
> Paul Burchard writes
>
> > Bruce Kahn/Iris <Bruce_Kahn/Iris.IRIS@iris.com> writes:
>
> > > In the same paragraph, "The SUBMIT button is used to
> > > e-mail or send its contents to the server as specified by
> > > the ACTION attribute," should be changed to include
>
> > Something else...what's the bit about "e-mail" doing in there?
> > HTML 2.0 doesn't support mailto FORMs.
>
> Why was that design decision made? Current browsers are able to support
> mailto forms, it is after all a valid access protocol - even if Mosaic
> has only just finally started supporting it ;-)

I don't think it ever was. The only limitation I've ever seen placed on
the 'action' attribute of a form is that it must be a valid URL. mailto
(and mailserver) are now valid URLs, so why not allow them to work?

They work in netscape, emacs-w3, and AIR Mosaic - not sure about any
others, but it is trivial to implement.

-Bill P.