Re: Comments on: "Character Set" Considered Harmful

Bob Jung (bobj@netscape.com)
Wed, 26 Apr 95 21:20:55 EDT

At 11:08 AM 4/26/95, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>From Dan and Gary's messages it would appear that the charset
>parameter provides sufficient information to determine the maping from
>a sequence of bits to code points in a coded character set that can
>also be determined from the charset parameter.

>Can anyone think of cases where the charset parameter will *not*
>suffice? I have a nagging feeling, but nothing firm in my mind...

I would like the same files to be used locally (e.g., CDROMs). In that
case, I would not have a charset parameter.

--
Bob Jung        bobj@netscape.com       +1 415 528-2688, fax +1 415 528-4122
Netscape Communications Corp.   501 E. Middlefield      Mtn View, CA   94041