Re: Looking ahead and planning

Dave Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Fri, 28 Apr 95 03:54:47 EDT

> And, not that it is my intention to hold things up, but it seemed to
> me that we did not achieve "rough consensus" at the meeting in Danvers.
> Are we required to achieve such consensus at an IETF meeting,
> or can that be done through mail?

Be aware that IETF guidelines indicate that WG meetings at the IETF
are for review purposes and NOT for making decisions - these should be
determined by rough concensus of the WG mailing list. This guideline
is intended to ensure that all WG members have the opportunity to take
part in decision making - not just those with a big travel budget!

If we need to make decisions quickly, then we can always hold a
electronic meeting with a prearranged agenda over the mailing list.
With URIs to working notes this could be a powerful way for us to
make rapid progress.

See RFC 1603 "IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures"
and RFC 1602 "The Internet Standards Process"

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> url = http://www.hpl.hp.co.uk/people/dsr
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Filton Road, | tel: +44 117 922 8046
Bristol BS12 6QZ, United Kingdom | fax: +44 117 922 8924