Re: REL and REV attributes -- a new RFC?

Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymand@gate.net)
Fri, 28 Apr 95 08:22:11 EDT

At 10:35 AM 4/28/95, Dave Raggett wrote:
>Murray volunteers to write an I-D on reserved words for REL/REV:
>
>> What say you?
>
>I have been pushing for acceptance of document specific toolbars
>based on LINK for some time. Can we take on board these ideas as
>expressed in the HTML3 I-D?

It would be good to get this RFC done outside the HTML spec, as it can move
forward right away. We already know this could be done within 1.0. There
could be a place for 3.0 specific reserved words in a later revision (such
as the CLASS attribute). By pushing forward, perhaps we can more quickly
get the browser vendors to play ball! And then later add more
sophisticated features, such as the CLASS/stylesheet names.

>If Murray provide the document in HTML form, I will reference it
>from the online HTMl3 document files, otherwise, I would like to
>continue to cover this material in the HTML3 document.
>
>For instance:
>
> o REL and REV remain open-ended CDATA strings with the ability
> for authors to define their own names.
>
> o The I-D defines a set of reserved keywords from this open-ended
> space of names for REL/REV attributes.
>
> o Some reserved words are defined for use with document specific
> toobars/menus while others are defined for specific purposes
>
> o Some reserved words are held back for future definition
>
>Here is my suggested list for toolbars/menus:
>(toolbars can be customised with icons via stylesheets)

This is a nice list Dave has done. It's the one I have been waiting for
:-). Nice way of chunking the words into categories. And the right number
of reserved words. Not too many, not too few.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net> |          I tried to contain myself
CyberBeach Publishing               |                                but