Re: Comments on: "Character Set" Considered Harmful

Bob Jung (bobj@netscape.com)
Fri, 28 Apr 95 19:30:46 EDT

At 12:56 PM 4/28/95, Terry Allen wrote:
>>The server can configure the "charset parameter" on a file or directory
>(recursive) basis.
>The content developer must request this from the server administor.
>
>===========
>
>what does the second sentence mean? how is the info supplied to
>the server?

The server config file (obj.conf) is modified. The Netscape 1.1 server
will provide a cool forms interface for the administrator, so it's justa
matter of clicking on links and typing pathnames into a few forms text
areas. After restarting the server (another click on a link), the server
will be configured to serve the charset as specified.

Ideally, you'd like the content developer to be able to label the content
without needing server administration - hence our labelling discussion.

-Bob

--
Bob Jung        bobj@netscape.com       +1 415 528-2688, fax +1 415 528-4122
Netscape Communications Corp.   501 E. Middlefield      Mtn View, CA   94041