Re: color text?

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Tue, 2 May 95 18:39:18 EDT

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Lou Montulli wrote:
> On May 2, 3:09pm, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Which of course is why you're working on HTTP/1.1, which will make all
> > inlined requests batchable, meaning a maximum of two connects (or even
> > HTTP-NG, which will mean a max of 1 connect). 3 separate files will soon
> > not demand 3 separate accesses.
> >

> Three cheers for HTTP-NG, it will save the world! :)

Glad you agree :)

> Now how about
> progressive layout? We shouldn't force all the style sheet information
> to be parsed before any of the document can be layed out. Are we
> going to allow multiple <STYLE> tags so that style information can
> be defined just before its use and documents can be layed out
> in an entirely progressive manner.

I absolutely agree that progressive layout needs to be addressed... but I
don't see why this is a different problem than when someone puts an 80K
image as their background.

Here's how content authors and browser authors could optimize their style
sheet progressive rendering:

1) Use site-wide or document-collection-wide stylesheets to mazimize
caching and minimize the impact on clients who chose not to use stylesheets.

2) Put the style sheet entries that are in external documents in roughly the
same order as the tags in the HTML document - i.e., if your document starts
with <H1>, put "H1.font" towards the top of your style sheet. Multi-threaded
browsers would parse both at the same time.

3) Follow Arena's lead and start laying out the page, readjusting when
necessary. This is slightly jumpy so it should probably be a user
preference, but I think it would be kinda cool to have the font the H1 uses
change when the style sheet gets to that point.

I'm sure your experts could come up with more :)

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/