Re: color text?

Luke (ylu@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu)
Wed, 3 May 95 20:30:51 EDT

On Wed, 3 May 1995, Lou Montulli wrote:
>>><BODY font.family = helvetica; font.style = bold; font.color = #000>
>>
>>Please give me a list of all formatting attributes that will ever be
>>needed.
>
>There is no need to. We can simply add to the list when needed.
>This is exactly what you are planning to do with style sheets.

This is bad for all existing SGML parsers. This is cleaner, imho:
<BODY CLASS="body.text.attributes" VALUE= "font.family = ....">
Overiding priority should be VALUE, <STYLE> stuff in <HEAD>, linked
stylesheet document. (high->low).

I am aware of some stupid size limits in SGML, but these are not
fundamental problems and can be worked around easily.

>>The above goes against a fundamental tenet of SGML (and after a long
>>painful period of debate, HTML), which is that the data should be as
>>independent as possible from style information.
>
>Oh please, not this again. Stop trying to invent fundamental tenets
>that don't exist. SGML is a syntactical language than can express
>formatting equally as well as content based markup. Trying to claim
>SGML as a "content" only language is an outright lie.

I am not sure if it's a fundamental tenet (SGML gurus please). But
it sure sounds like one and makes sense to me...

__Luke

--
Luke Y. Lu
mailto:ylu@mail.utexas.edu