Re: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Thu, 4 May 95 18:16:07 EDT

Glenn Adams writes:
> Date: Fri, 05 May 1995 15:47:43 -0500
> From: eric@spyglass.com (Eric W. Sink)
>
> Here's my attempt:
> I can accept your suggestion. To reflect this into the RFC, the following
> changes are needed:

OK... now I've got exact changes I can make to the document. I'll
have to get and install SP so I can test the DTD from now on, but
that's long overdue anyway.

The real question is: what does this mean to information providers?
Does it solve any of their problems?

For example: what good is ISO10646 without support for UCS-2 or UTF-8
(or even ISO-2022-JP)?

If getting ISO10646 in there is just a political move, then the ICADD
comparison is fair. But the ICADD changes were a key part of a
_solution_, not just a statement of direction.

I don't see how putting half the solution -- ISO10646 as a document
character set, with no deployed support and no specification for
support of other encodings -- in the 2.0 document is better than
leaving 2.0 as is and providing a complete specification in another
document.

Dan