Re: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Fri, 5 May 95 19:12:46 EDT

On Fri, 5 May 1995, Alex Hopmann wrote:

> 2) HTML 2.0 uses 10646. We say that minimally complient browsers must only
> support the first 256 positions, or in other words Latin-1. A reference to
> ૥ gets rounded to 8 bits like Glenn found from experience. People

Seems to me as a publisher and reader of published material, there is
no conceptual difference between ૥ and &xxx; where the rendering
program doesn't understand what they mean. I would expect (and have
seen for   at least) browsers to just leave the unknown entity
as written in the text.

Irrespective of the ultimate document character set, should the standard
spell out handling of undefined entities?

Dave Morris