Re: Revised language on: ISO/IEC 10646 as Document Character Set

Gavin Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Mon, 8 May 95 02:43:11 EDT

> [1] multiple independent working interoperating implementations
> [2] rough consensus on the mailing list

As someone else noted, we need [2] for RFC's and [1] for standards.

>To satisfy item [1], however, we need
>(a) working 10646-based browsers
>>(b) http servers that can deal with this, even if that means nothing more
> than simply sending out binary data with whatever content-type and
> encoding marking that the browsers need
>(c) the ability to create and edit 10646-based documents
>(d) interoperability between the browsers and servers
>(e) interoperability between documents and browsers
>(f) the ability for the 10646 tools to handle existing 8859-1 documents
>(g) all of the above on multiple platforms

I think (d) and (e) are primarily and effect of the HTTP protocol, and
the HTML specification.

As for the rest, I would be surprised if it takes a year for all those
to appear.