on Why= with keyword REV= et al

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Mon, 15 May 95 20:04:23 EDT

On Thu, 4 May 1995, Craig Hubley wrote:

> So, this HTML fragment:
>
> <A HREF="http://..." WHY="legal/precedent">
>
> with WHY OFF (as now) appears as:
> ...In *Jones vs. Jones* the Court had assumed...
> with WHY ON (default?) appears as:
> ...In *(legal/precedent) Jones vs. Jones* the Court had assumed...
>
> In either case, if the user hovers over the link they see "to legal/precedent:
> [the destination URL]". In either case the WHY is reported just as written.

WHY= as a concept holds real appeal to me. BUT I would propose that
it be a tag not an attribute. Only allowed inside an anchor. By
making it a tag, I believe all of the characteristics Craig proposes
could be retained with additional possiblities for richer content.
One could get carried away but I could see a MAC balloon pop-up with
a few lines describing the relationship. Use of emphasis markup. Etc.

And let us not forget on of the very early requests which started us
down this path ... the ability to invoke browser function from
arbitrary points within a document. I keep seeing suggestions about
adding stuff to the browser button bar dynamically. Useful yes, but
not the original point which is strongly reinforced as one surfs
the current web. The browser button bar needs to move selectively
and dynamically into document text.

Dave Morris