Re: Comment Declarations

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Wed, 31 May 95 12:58:35 EDT

Daniel W. Connolly <connolly@beach.w3.org> wrote:
> I thought James Clark's prose was nice: accurate, yet short
> and to the point. I just changed "one or more" to "zero or more"
> to allow for <!>.
>
> See what you think:
> |
> |To include comments in an HTML document, use a comment declaration. A
> |comment declaration consists of `<!' followed by zero or more comments
> |followed by `>'. Each comment starts with `--' and includes all text
> |up to and including the next occurrence of `--'. In a comment
> |declaration, white space is allowed after each comment, but not before
> |the first comment. The entire comment declaration is ignored.

That's the best description I've seen so far.

I would suggest adding a note about where comment declarations
are legal, though (i.e., only in content, not in tags or other
markup), and possibly mentioning that comments may appear
inside other markup declarations in the DTD.

--Joe English

joe@art.com