Re: HTML 2.0 LAST CALL: Numeric character refs

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Sat, 3 Jun 95 11:39:01 EDT

In message <199506031505.LAA11148@ebt-inc.ebt.com>, Gavin Nicol writes:
>I don't think it is non-conforming SGML (the standard is somewhat
>vague). I think the best way is not to say anything, other than it is
>an error, and leave it to browser implementors to decide upon the
>behaviour.

This is the argument I've been waiting to hear. (except that the SGML
standard is not vague on conformance.) It sounds good to me, but I
thought we agreed that it was a good thing if all browsers handled
this type of error the same way. The June 2 verbage is motivated by
the fact that several widely deployed browsers behave that way.

> We had this discussion before, and there was no concensus
>on how to handle out-of-range numeric character references, hence, we
>should not pretend there is concensus now.

Hmm... I guess I saw it differently. I'm sorry to drag this out, but
Eric: could you give the chair's position on this, so we can move on?

Dan