Re: TEXT, C, NOBR and WORD tags

Ka-Ping Yee (kryee@novice.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 6 Jul 95 02:33:56 EDT

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Mike Meyer wrote:

> The one other issue is that I like to write things like:

> I.e. - a code fragment with a variable part. This is perfectly legal,
> but has the same problems as
>
> <big>S</big>ee what I can do!
>
> in that it allows line breaks where they don't belong, and causes
> intelligent parsers to break up the words.

Not that i can't see other places where WORD could be useful -- but
i'm pretty sure the above examples don't cause the problem you're
talking about.

<big>S</big>ee what I can do!

breaks up into five words:

<big>S</big>ee
what
can
do!

based on the whitespace, and is rendered that way. This kind of breaking
used to occur especially often with things like

Please have a look at <a href="blah.html">some more verbiage</a>.

where the period off the end would be put on a new line (even though

verbiage</a>.

should be a single word). I think this was interpreted as a bug and
later fixed, in Mosaic. My understanding of the whitespace issue is that
whitespace *after a start tag* or *before an end tag* like

is not significant, while whitespace like

<strong>emphasized</strong> nextword

and

remains significant as a word break, because it falls either *just
outside a tag* or *between two words*. So

is one word, and while it is the same as

, it is quite different from the two words

The recent discussion on whitespace interpretation confirms half of this
belief; could someone please confirm whether this entire interpretation
is correct?

Ping (Ka-Ping Yee): 2B Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
kryee@csclub.uwaterloo.ca | 62A Churchill St, Waterloo N2L 2X2, 519 886-3947
CWSF 89, 90, 92; LIYSF 90, 91; Shad Valley 92; DOE 93; IMO 91, 93; ACMIPC 94
:: Skuld :: Tendou Akane :: Belldandy :: Ayukawa Madoka :: Hayakawa Moemi ::
New! <http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/kryee/> Yeah, i finally made a home page.