Re: Simple Vector file format for Web?

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Mon, 31 Jul 95 08:00:51 EDT

Peter K. Sheerin wrote to html-wg@oclc.org:

> I have seen two discussions on supporting vector files on the web,
> complete with hyperlinks in the vector image. One was an extension of CGM,
> and the other was a new format called SVF.
>
> What is the current status of either of these proposals?

Update: The CGM (1992) ISO standard has been sumbitted for registration
as an Internet Media type. I was involved with that. The ISO committee
is keen to see CGM used on the web. Thus, a future amendment to CGM
1992 which allows for embedded URLs would seem a reasonable possibility.

Could you provide a pointer to the discussion of a proposed CGM extension?

As I am sure you are aware, most CAD packages can export CGM. CGM
viewers and validators are available on many plaftorms.

I have not heard of anything more on SVF since WWW 2.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |