Exemplary post! [was: making old text publicly available on the web ]

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@beach.w3.org)
Fri, 07 Jul 1995 12:27:32 -0400

Well said!

Let's all hear it for Dan Riley! (well... let's not _all_ hear
it too many times: send him private email, rather than posting here,
if you would please.)

(1) He cited sources, and excerpted the relavent parts
(2) he was civil
(3) he makes some sense; his terminology is consistent
(4) He didn't make any claims without either
(a) prefacing them with "I think" or "My reading is..."
or
(b) citing sources for independent verification

Folks, let's all take a lesson here. It probably took Riley an extra
10 minutes to surf up a copy of RFC 1521, copy some text, (minor
deduction for no URL for RFC1521. By the way, here's one:
http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1521.txt ) and probably do a little
random fact checking and edit his message before posting.

But look at all the time he saved the rest of us, and look at how
valuable the result is. This mailing list is archived. I think around
1000 people read it -- more, if you count local mailing list exploders.

This was once a thriving technical resource -- THE place to go for
technical discussion of web developments. It's going down hill in
a sea of tech support questions and careless posts. It will only
return to its former usefullness if posters are careful and dilligent.