Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl script

rst@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 21:19:04 --100
Sender: www-talk@www0.cern.ch
From: rst@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www0.cern.ch>
Subject: Future of meta-indices: site indexing proposal and Perl script
   Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 19:19:33 --100
   From: Dave Raggett <dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

   HTML+ includes the ABSTRACT element for this. The "Summary" HTTP
   header should therefore be reserved for a brief description.

Neat.  Another twist for the next spin of the script, I guess.

However, (getting back to the original application) some of the files that
people want to have indexed may not have text set off as a formal abstract,
so <ABSTRACT> is not a 100% solution.  I'm thinking of search-engine cover
sheets in particular.  These frequently consist of nothing but an input
<FORM>, with no text that could be considered a proper abstract.  For these
documents at least, I think I'd still need some other way of including
descriptive information which is not necessarily displayed, whether it's

or

or even

   <!-- INDEXER description "..." -->

Sigh...