Re: We need to start talking about group and public annotations

Jay Glicksman (jay@eit.COM)
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 20:44:47 +0200

> The basic problem with annotation as it was implemented is that it
> didn't allow any inline annotations. The annotations weren't very
> useful except on the shortest of documents.
>
> If you want to reintroduce annotations, perhaps that's the most
> important issue to resolve.

And I'll just reinsert my comments made at the time

(http://gummo.stanford.edu/html/hypermail/.www-talk-1993q3.messages/130.html)

that a new markup element is needed (FIGT came close in one of the
proposals). Something that would be used as follows:

..
<h3>Meeting results</h3>
And then we decided to use a bivalve framistan in the motor.

<annotation>
I disagree with that decision for the following reasons...
</annotation>

This could be rendered:
- on an overlay (selectively shown depending on the annotation's
author) offset to the left or right from the annotated text
- under the text in a distinct font
- as a separate page with an annotate link
- etc.

Jay Glicksman