Re: Maintaining HTTP connections...

Paul Everitt (paul@cminds.com)
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 02:20:45 +0200

On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Christian L. Mogensen wrote:

> This is one of the good reasons for having multipart messages:
> Problems with it are:
> no browsers support it
> servers don't support it
> You can't send multiple requests at once.

Yes, it is hard to move a browser base. Something I haven't seen
discussed is the proxy aspect. Although proxy servers constitute a very
small portion of the GETs, they likewise constitute a more-easily
upgraded installed base. And with the developments in the proxy
community, the percentage of traffic from them will go up.

So, why not think in terms of applying these ideas to server-server
transactions? Seems to make things much easier to implement.

Paul Everitt V 703.785.7384 Email Paul.Everitt@cminds.com
Connecting Minds, Inc. F 703.785.7385 WWW http://www.cminds.com/