Re: Includes in Indexes

Brian Behlendorf (brian@wired.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 1994 18:30:28 +0200

On Fri, 26 Aug 1994, John Martin wrote:
> I am trying to use server side Includes to make the output of a script
> appear in every directory when a user is browsing the directory tree.
>
> The 'normal' case works: a program in a '.shtml' file is interpreted - but
> I would like the program to appear in the README.html file so that it works
> in every directory. I have tried creating a README.shtml but that doesn't
> work - the program simply does not get interpreted.

One way would be to have a directory-browsing program that dynamically
generates the list of available files for a given directory, plus whatever
else you want to generate on the fly. Yet another reason to put me on
cache managers' shit lists. :)

I did something similar for our gateway to the glimpse searching tool -
check out http://www.wired.com/cgi-bin/aglimpse, and you'll see at the
bottom a listing of directories by which you can restrict your search
further.

Brian