Re: Bug in HTTP protocol documentation?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Fri, 9 Sep 1994 19:28:42 +0200

I'd hate to think this kind of query goes _completely_ unanswered,
so I'll bite...

In message <199409082110.RAA09213@postman.osf.org>, "W. Scott Meeks" writes:
>I'm looking at
>http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Request.html "HTTP: The
>Request" under "HTTP: A protocol for networked information".
>
>In the line:
>
> FullRequest = Method UR ProtocolVersion CrLf
> ^^
>
>UR really looks like it should be <uri> or possibly URI.
>
>1. Is this just a bug in the spec?

Yes...

>2. Is this the right place to report such bugs?

For now, I suppose this is as good a place as any. Lord help us if the
situation doesn't improve soon.

>3. Is there a more uptodate spec?

Sadly, no. The spec is maintained by TimBL and the folks at CERN in
their "copious spare time," with input from folks like Tony Sanders
<sanders@bsdi.com>, Rob McCool <???>, Kevin Altsis, Ari, Henrick, and
others that I can't recall just now.

You must have caught all these guys in a bad mood or on vacation.
Generally, they pipe in with answers about the HTTP spec.

If you'd like to volunteer to bring the spec up to date, you would
be doing a great service to the community.

Dan