(no subject)

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Mon, 19 Sep 1994 19:54:02 +0200

In message <9409191622.AA07106@mun18>, jim.anderson@fi.gs.com writes:
>Has anyone given any thought to a 'plain text standard' for FAQs that
>would allow servers to automatically generate the corresponding html
>versions?

Yes. See

http://www.bsdi.com/setext/

After thinking about it some more, I think something based on GNU info
might be more useful. (There are no SeText authoring tools, though
emacs indented-text mode works pretty well).

It's tricky... folks that maintain large plaintext documents are usually
interested in having them look nice when printed on an 80x60 page. emacs
and/or nroff are the only tools I know for doing that sort of thing.

It's probably easiest at this point to maintain the FAQ in HTML and
convert it to plain text.

Dan