Re: HTML Validation Form [Was: Nesting of HTML elements ]

Chris Lilley, Computer Graphics Unit (lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk)
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 14:02:50 +0100

In message <9410111953.AA02159@ulua.hal.com> Dan Connolly writes:

> Well, we realized that for a few folks out there, the DTD doesn't make
> things crystal clear.

Few? FEW? ;-)

> So Mark Gaither and I at HaL have set up a forms
> interface to a validating SGML parser at

> "HaLsoft HTML Validation Service"
> http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/html-test/service/validation-form.html

I gave this a whirl (and discovered a few embarrasing typos which the M-entity
had cheerfully let pass, oops) and found something odd.

It seems that entities must have white space around them.

So If I want MAN-T&EC I have to type

MAN_T &amp; EC not MAN_T&amp;EC otherwise there is an error (EC not declared).
Does this white space count as markup or as text?

In other words, would the validated version be rendered in some ideal browser as
MAN-T&EC or MAN-T & EC

The validation service is great. Is there any way to run it as a standalone
program? We have SGMLS here but I don't really understand how to make it do
useful stuff.

PS Dan, why do you always say %7E where other folks use ~ is this something else
we are all doing wrong?

--
Chris Lilley
|  Technical Author, Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre  |