Re: Cascading HTML style sheets -- a proposal

Dave Raggett (dsr@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 13:07:22 +0100

Bert Bos writes:

> Elements in HTML can have attributes that influence the lay-out, such
> as <OL COMPACT> or <P ALIGN=LEFT>. The best way would be to remove
> those attributes from HTML. If necessary, we could introduce new GI's
> instead of those attributes that also have a semantic function, as in
> the case of <UL WRAP=VERT>

Such attributes play a useful role in HTML as they express the intentions
of authors for particular elements, and can provide the basis for more
sophistocated style sheet mechanisms that exploit richer markup. What is
needed is a way of mapping such attributes into style sheet statements.
A further advantage of these attributes is that they allow you to use
generic style sheets which can be cached effectively. Any overrides on a
per element basis are handled via the attribute values and mapping rules

--
Best wishes,

Dave Raggett