Re: Network Abuse by Netscape? -- Was: Mosaic replacements, etc...

Tony Sanders (sanders@bsdi.com)
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:56:29 +0100

Rich Brandwein writes:
> bad it actually is coming out to be. Even at *2* it seems to be
> pretty devastating to our CERN proxy server, but we'll get some better
> stats soon. If anyone out there already has some definitive stats one way
> or the other on this issue, I'd also really appreciate it.
Or the extra load could be the result of "new toy syndrome".
We would have to see the actual stats to know for sure.

A quick check would be to see if the # requests/day has gone up.
If it has, then there is a good chance that you have NTS.

> We're also not happy about the fact that people's user id's are being
..
> moved elsewhere (in our case, and I suspect many other large orgs,
> this is also a violation of our security policies)?
This has been in the HTTP spec for a long time:
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/HTRQ_Headers.html
If it isn't acceptable at your site then you can deal with it in your
proxy but it shouldn't be a surprise.

I actually hope that other browers follow (wouldn't it be cool if your
reply address was already filled in on forms...).

--sanders