Re: Network Abuse by Netscape? -- Was: Mosaic replacements, etc...

Lou Montulli (montulli@strumpet.mcom.com)
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 12:00:19 +0100

On Oct 25, 6:44pm, Rich Brandwein wrote:
> Subject: Re: Network Abuse by Netscape? -- Was: Mosaic replacements, etc..
> On Oct 22, 8:36pm, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >

> We're also not happy about the fact that people's user id's are being
> grabbed off the host and inserted into the headers (and in fact their
> entire email address will be sent if the email "from" is properly
> filled out) FROM field, which is passed in *every* transaction with
> no way to turn this off other than put "-" in the from address (or
> "robert.e.allen@att.com" in my case - but I guess you can map from that
> now...). What happened to all the privacy discussions or have they
> moved elsewhere (in our case, and I suspect many other large orgs,
> this is also a violation of our security policies)?

This header has been in the HTTP 1.0 spec since the beginning, and
other browsers have been sending this header without complaints.

BUT, pending the discussion we had in Chicago I have turned the
"From:" header off for future versions of Netscape.

PS- have you been in contact with the authors of Mail programs to make
sure they stop grabbing your email address off your system and sending
them with your email messages?

--
Lou Montulli                       http://mosaic.mcom.com/people/montulli/
Mozilla Development Team      It's spelled 'Netscape', it's pronouced 'Mozilla'