Re: Question

Andy Holyer (andyh@pavilion.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 11:56:51 +0100

At 1:21 am 5/11/94 +0100, DBERLIN@peddie.k12.nj.us wrote:
> I have a question. My school wants to purchase a unix
> system to use for ftp/www/etc servers and other things. I
> am ionterseted to know what the general consensus about
> which flavor of UNIX (UnixWare,SunOS,etc) would be best to
> run in terms of Stability/support/ease of use and secondly
> raw processing speed and power.

We use BSD/I running on 486 machines - initially because it was cheap, but
I've been really impressed with it. It'll run on a 386, on our 486/50s we
can run X with no trouble, as well as an httpd, and seem to get about
SPARC-2 performance. Compared with the same machines under Widows, it's
amazing. Runtime version costs about GBP 400, a CDROM with all the sources
is about GBP1000

Look at http://www.bsdi.com/

Just a satisfied customer.

Andy Holyer, Managing Director,
Pavilion Internet plc, Brighton, England
Tel: +44 (1273) 607072, Fax: +44 (1273) 607073, http://www.pavilion.co.uk