Re: POSTing images?!!?

Kent Fitch (Kent.Fitch@its.csiro.au)
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 04:25:28 +0100

On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, David Koblas wrote:

> I've noticed an alarming thing about a large class of browsers:
>
> [lots of the browsers listed]
>
> That they POST the requests for IMGs in the results of a POST method.
> You're going what does he mean? This is what I belive is
> happening:
>
> A user enters a CGI script and does a POST to submit it.
> A resulting HTML document is returned, containing new
> icon images, which the browser does then _incorrectly_
> does a POST to retrive those images.
>
> This is my only theory.
>
> Has anyone else seen this, or can somebody quantify it better.
>
> Thanks
> --koblas@netcom.com

I can confirm that this is definately what WinMosaic 2.0 Alpha x does -
it was such a stumbling block for us that we changed the NCSA HTTPD 1.3
source to change POST requests for *.gif into GET requests.

Kent Fitch Ph: +61 6 276 6711
ITSB CSIRO Canberra Australia kent.fitch@its.csiro.au
"Refinement --> Luxury --> Decadence"