Re: No More Passwords In The Clear in HTTP!

Jon E. Mittelhauser (jonm@mcom.com)
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 06:12:36 +0100

At 08:13 PM 1/9/95 -0600, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:

>MD5 technology is very different from the patented public key encyption.
>It's just a secure hash function. There are others -- SHS, MD4, etc.
>
>Anyway... the md5 source code is all over the place. There's an md5
>module in the Python distribution, so I'm pretty sure there are no
>prohobitive licensing restrictions.

Yup (as confirmed by a later mail).

Needless to say, I'm not the one working on SSL so I guess I
should just learn to keep my mouth shut...:^) I saw RSA and
assumed that it was simply another encryption method.

-Jon