Re: File upload from a Web browser

Joel Crisp (Joel.Crisp@bristol.ac.uk)
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:00:39 +0000

Mark Fisher wrote :

>I also see Java as a way to prototype new browser features, like file
>upload. Once the prototype serves its purpose, though, the feature should
>be hard-coded into browsers. There are useful file upload apps (the TCE
>Corporate Technical Memory being one) where local directory restrictions on
>files would not be a problem, so Java would be an appropriate prototyping
>tool.

>Maybe it is my own myopic viewpoint, but file upload seems to be one of just
>a small handful of WWW browser features that have a very high benefit/cost
>ratio that have not been implemented. Unicode support (admittedly
>significantly higher cost) seems to be the other...
>Mark Fisher Thomson Consumer Electronics
>fisherm@indy.tce.com Indianapolis, IN

To my mind, the most significant missing feature in browsers is
support for equations. This seems to be a strange feature to omit,
as there are so many requirements for it. Several source code
implementations for equation renderers exist, so why the delay ?

Joel
----
Joel.Crisp@bris.ac.uk | ets-webmaster@bris.ac.uk