Lotus Notes Application
- In the United States, more than 3200 companies are using Notes
to improve business processes, including customer service, sales and
account management, and product development
Quick Contents of this Page
What is Lotus Notes ?
- a mail and teleconferencing system for LAN-based users
- each LAN site has a Note server which stores the database
created by users
Features of Lotus Notes
- For sending one-to-one or one-to-many Notes document; files such as
spreadsheet, word processing files or other Notes documents can be
attached to messages
- Support business communication in a many-to-many structure
- Users can customize view of their mail database
eg. sort by sender, date
- Security features such as signing, encrypting are provided for
communication of sensitive information through the system
- Groups create their own discussion database.
- Any group member can put up a main document which introduces
a new idea or topic to be discussed.
- Group members can put up response documents regarding a topic.
- Those main and response documents of a group are organized into an
an ordered, accessible structure by the Notes' Discussion Application.
- Response documents will be grouped under the corresponding main
- Notes servers at different LAN sites exchange new data periodically
to ensure identical databases at both LAN sites
- Group discussion can be carried out in a flexible way. Group members
can participate at their own convenient time. This avoid the trouble
of finding a meeting time when all group members are free.
- Support asynchronous group work in different locations.
- Group members at different locations can join a group discussion.
- Group members at different part of the world can coordinate their work
through the disscussion database.
- Group authoring and meeting scheduler are not supported by the Lotus
Notes. Since Lotus Notes does not support file locking. When users
edit the same document at the same time, only the latest changes will
be saved. For the same reason, Lotus Notes can not support meeting
scheduler which also the file locking feature.
- Usage of Lotus Notes at more than one LAN sites is suitable only when
storage cost is low and communication cost is high. Since communication
between Notes servers is done occasionally, the communication line need
not be occupied permanantly. The cut down of communication cost can
justify the storing cost of keeping duplicate database at different
- Cooperative culture within the organization is required for effective
usage. Group members do not keep their idea or information to themselves
and participate in the discussion voluntarily.
Future Development for real-time communications
- Data conferencing product
Video conferencing product
- allows users to work simultaneously on a shared whiteboard
using the same applications
In future, lotus notes will support a PC-based personal conference.
- supports virtual meetings among multiple locations
- conducts in the Notes environment
- brings Notes information into the conference
A sales director in New York can set up a personal meeting with the
regional sales manger in Denmark by clicking on a video conferencing
icon within the Notes environment. During the meeting, they could
review information and change sales forcast together simultaneously.
References (#6 & #7)
Please mail comment to :
Last updated on March 17, 1995