Use of "level" or "version" parameter to denote use of exper

Richard_J_McWaters@ccmail.ed.ray.com
Tue, 17 Jan 95 08:46:27 EST

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 17:28 -0500 (EST)
From: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Use of "level" or "version" parameter to denote use of exper
To: "Richard J McWaters%RAY_EDSUD_D"@ccmail.ed.ray.com, html-wg@oclc.org

This would be great for more than just text. We have been "working
around" an issue that falls in this category. The new Tables feature
is availible in the X-Windows browser, but not in any of the other.
We have used the PERL script to check the client and return a Table
when possible and a "compliant" format where not. How about a syntax
that would allow for experimental features or old features similar to
the graphics vs. non-graphics display (ALT) used for non-graphical
Mosaic users.

Author: masinter@parc.xerox.com at PMDF
Date: 1/16/95 5:28 PM

I've been wondering if we might allow some way to designate with the
"level" or "version" parameter (or some other parameter) for
describing a document that is mainly 'text/html' but also contains
experimental features. E.g.,

text/html; level=x-w3org-3

This would allow folks to experiment with minor increments for which
saying "text/html; level=3" would be wrong.

Do you like the idea? If so, should it be "level", "version", or some
other parameter?