Re: textured backgrounds

David - Morris (dwm@shell.portal.com)
Thu, 19 Jan 95 15:13:41 EST

On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Yuri Rubinsky wrote:

> It is absolutely the case that people want to be able to do this sort
> of "wallpapering", which in some mockups I've seen, can look terrific,
> can enhance a publisher's unique look an' feel, and may not feel
> particularly invasive but just part of the design.

There are lots of things people want to do which in the judgement of
society are unacceptable. For this one we really need to be concerned
about what people want to receive, not what they want to send.

I recently encountered a very glitzy publication with very interesting
content and an appearance I'd be happy to frame and hang on the wall.
Problem was with all the distracting color to the 'paper' and less than
adequate contrast, I couldn't read the thing. They lost a subscription.

There are times these days I can't bring up arena or netscape because
too many different colors are required for what is available on my
SUNOS Sparc station. Missing colors can destroy the utility of the
document and I fear that we the creators of the WEB and not the document
authors will be blamed.

Dave Morris