Re: <!-- comments -->

wmperry@spry.com
Fri, 20 Jan 95 23:57:28 EST

Tom Magliery writes:
> Forgive me for injecting a 2.0 question into the morass... Consider the
> following:
>
> <!------------------------------------------------------------>
>
> My left brain (or is it my right brain?) does not want this to be a valid
> comment, but I can not dispute it wielding the HTML 2.0 spec. Who wins?
> Brain or spec?

If I am not mistaken, spec wins. The # of -s must be evenly divisble by
2 for it to be a valid comment. This is basically equivalent to:

<!--
.
.
.
-->

And since your example had 60 -s, its legal. :) Someone posted a very
good description of this to one of the comp.infosystems.www groups, but
sadly those are becoming close to unreadable lately, so the 2 or 3 good
articles a day (week? month? :) are easy to miss.

-Bill P.