Re: NCSA patents on MOSAIC ???!!! -- NOPE!

Larry Jackson (jackson@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 25 Jan 95 14:17:19 EST

Background...

>>An article published in last Sunday's Chicago Tribune suggests that the
>>University of Illinois has applied for several patents on technology relating
>>to MOSAIC. If this is true, then they appear to be getting ready for a
>>Unisys/Compuserve-style "hook them then cook them" move against the Internet
>>community.

Then, from Eric Sink at Spyglass...

>1. This has NOTHING to do with HTML-WG. Zippo.
>2. Newspaper writers are almost always writers of fiction.
>3. In this particular article, Yates just misused the word patent.
>4. Please don't post this kind of sheer unconfirmed speculation.
>
>So, to summarize:
>
>The relationship between Spyglass and NCSA has nothing to do with patents.
>Ronald Yates used the word patent when he meant "trademark", or perhaps
>"copyright", and so on.
>
>I won't speak for NCSA, but to my knowledge, they are not attempting to
>patent any aspect of Mosaic.

my turn...(Eric's right, it's the wrong mailing list -- I appologize!)

Well, I _will_ speak for NCSA, and we're not pursuing _any_ patents on
Mosaic in any way. Some possible points of confusion are (1) the
copyright/trademark issues, which you can read about at
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/trademark.html

and the Master Licensee arrangement with Spyglass that apparently confused
the reporter, but you can read about it at
http://www.spyglass.com/m_exclpr.htm

I hope that puts the issue to rest!

"We now resume our regularly scheduled HTML-WG discussion, already in
progress..."

=======
Larry Jackson
Mosaic Technical Manager, NCSA