Re: Charsets: Problem statement/requirements?

yergeau@alis.ca
Mon, 13 Feb 95 10:26:53 EST

Luke Y. Lu <ylu@mail.utexas.edu> wites:
>On Fri, 10 Feb 1995 yergeau@alis.ca wrote:
>>I think this is seriously wrong. Encodings and languages are pretty much
>>orthogonal, with a single encoding being able to represent several
>>languages and a single language being representable in a single encoding.
^
I meant multiple, of course

>Well, nothing prevent you from adding <lang lc="en" enc="whatever"> to give

Which means using one tag for two orthogonal purposes. Bad idea, if you
ask me.

>hints to dumb and dumber language robots.

I'd like to see a non-dumb hyphenator, by your definition. My word
processor doesn't have one, despite its being a rather sophisticated
word processor. In fact, I'd like to see any language processor that is
not dumb by your definition.

>I agree. But a language tag is useless if don't know it's encoding scheme,

Just like a heading tag is useless if you don't know the encoding of the
heading. That's not a reason to bundle the two together.

--
Francois Yergeau  <yergeau@alis.ca>
Alis Technologies Inc., Montreal