Re: Toward Graceful Deployment of Tables

Paul Burchard (burchard@horizon.math.utah.edu)
Mon, 13 Mar 95 18:17:47 -0700

connolly@w3.org (Dan Connolly) writes:
> HTML 2.5, i.e. 2.0 + tables?
> Should we suggest that browser implementors who wish
> to support tables, but not the rest of the 3.0
> spec should specify level=2.5 in their Accept:
> headers?

I think there was broad agreement here to work toward a level 2.1
having tables as its main enhancement. So, I believe we should use
"Accept: text/html; level=2.1" to detect table capability.

(Why 2.5? HTML 3.0 is a reasonably big chunk to bite off -- even
Dave hasn't fully implemented it in his own browser -- so I forsee
the need for a couple more intermediate levels. Can we start arguing
about what those should be?)

Paul Burchard <burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''