Re: HTML table model suggestion

Bernie J Scholz (scholz@oceana.crd.ge.com)
Fri, 31 Mar 95 08:56:33 EST

Paul Grosso writes:

> As Daniel points out, the CALS model has tfoot before tbody:
>
> <!ELEMENT tgroup - o (colspec*, thead?, tfoot?, tbody) >
>
> This is to allow implementations to "pick up" the tfoot without
> having to scan a potentially very long table (I've seen CALS tables
> that were 20 pages long) since one might want to present the tfoot
> at the bottom of each page of the table.

But do we need to worry about printed tables when we are defining a markup
for an electronic publishing medium, i.e., there is no definition of a page?

I like having the table footer defined at the end of the table body because
it seems more natural to me, especially when I am authoring a *small* table
by hand or via an SGML editor.

- Bernie

Bernhard J. (Bernie) Scholz Internet: scholz@crd.ge.com
Technical Systems Program Phone : 518.387.5094
Information Technology Lab FAX : 518.387.6104
GE Corporate Research & Development
Bldg. K1, Room 5B28A
P.O. Box 8
Schenectady, NY 12301