Re: Proposed HTML 2.0 Entities - Rendering Errors

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@primenet.com)
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 13:00:46 -0700

At 01:56p 06/27/95, Murray Altheim wrote:
>I took the character entity list from the Connolly/Berners-Lee June 16th
>2.0 DTD and tested the entity list in Netscape and Mosaic on the Macintosh.
>
>On displaying a number of character entities using 12 point Times in Mosaic
>or Netscape on a Macintosh, a number of these entities do not display
>correctly.
>
>This is sometimes due to a character mapping error within the browser,
>other times due to the character being unavailable within the particular
>font
>or within the Macintosh character set. This was not meant to be a browser
>test. Following is a document demonstrating the errors found:
>
> http://ogopogo.nttc.edu/tools/html/propEntErr.html
>
>I'm interested in a dialog on solutions to rendering these characters
>correctly on platforms that do not have the correct mappings, either due to
>OS, font, or browser problems. Few people in the US need to use the
>Icelandic "Eth", but quite a few of these entities would be very valuable
>additions to our global repertoire if we could find a way to display them.

You might want to check my character set page. I still have to change its
title from iso-8859-1 since it's not precisely that, but it's got footnotes
as to which of the ISO characters are not in the Macintosh (standard)
character set.

http://www.primenet.com/~boo/iso-8859-1.html

Are there any Adobe font engineers on this list? I'm thinking something
similar to SuperATM could be called upon to generate certain "extra"
glyphs, or maybe it would require QuickDraw GX, or maybe Copland (with its
Unicode support, but that's still a ways off...). Are you looking for a
Mac-specific solution, or a cross-platform one?

# Walter Ian Kaye: (602) 942-6390 FoxPro/Excel Programmer; Guitarist #
# Correspond to: boo@primenet.com, boodlums@genie.com #
# BinHex files: boo@primenet.com WWW: http://www.primenet.com/~boo/ #