Re: Conversion Programs

Chris Lilley, Computer Graphics Unit (lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk)
Tue, 12 Jul 1994 14:08:46 +0200

In message <9407112034.AA14510@colette.ogsm.vanderbilt.edu>, Donna Hoffman
writes:

> Are you talking about programs like HotMetal?

No. That is an HTML editor. I was talking about programs to take care of
internal consistency issues like using the same string 20 times in a set of
documents.

> I use it on my workstation
> but it's more bother than it's worth.

I heard that too. It does nothing that a good (free) emacs mode like
sgml-mode or psgml can't do. It doesn't let you put in characters like
a-umlaut and so on. I have hearsd of some other shortcomings, too. Plus of
course it is a cut down copy of the commercial version, which is itself a
sawn-off version of their expensive Author/Editor SGML package which is
corporately priced ;-)

> Easier just to open a TextEditor and do it "manually."

Me too, for short documents.

--
Chris Lilley
|Technical Author, ITTI Computer Graphics & Visualisation Training Project |